Senior Dog Dementia is What We’re About
Walking Doggies is an online shopping site offering products and resources to help senior dogs with dementia live longer, healthier lives. All of our resources are free to use. Our products for sale are hand-picked by me, and represent my commitment to treat Murphy’s dementia holistically.
Dogs are living longer lives these days. Living longer is a wonderful thing, but it comes with an increased chance of developing health problems common to senior dogs.
Senior dog dementia, also known as Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (CCD), is a brain disease prevalent in older dogs that causes cognitive decline, similar to Alzheimer’s Disease in people.
My sweet boy Murphy is 15-1/2 years old. I observed the first symptom of CCD (although I didn’t know that’s what it was at the time) on August 13, 2018, when Murphy walked away from his bowl leaving half his breakfast. He hasn’t eaten normally since. New symptoms developed shortly thereafter and I researched each symptom as it occurred.
Research eventually pointed to CCD. Murphy already had many of the early symptoms and seemed to be declining quickly. I wanted to treat him as naturally and organically as possible so I searched the Internet for holistic supplements and treatments that might help senior dog dementia. I read stories by owners of CCD dogs about their successful battle against this disease using holistics. I studied the supplements they suggested, read labels and reviews, and bought the supplements I thought would be best for Murphy. Since he wasn’t eating much on his own I added the supplements to his food and syringe-fed him twice a day. Murphy had to eat while we figured out how to cope with this disease.
After weeks of syringe-feeding healthy, natural food and holistic supplements Murphy started to improve and eventually began eating most of his meals on his own. To ensure he was getting all of his supplements I mixed them into a teaspoon of organic pumpkin and syringe-fed them, as I continue to do every day.
It’s now 5 months later and Murphy is improving a little more each day. During those 5 months I became active in several online support groups for senior dogs with cognitive issues, and I shared Murphy’s story and smiling face. Group members contacted me to ask questions about Murphy’s improvement and to discuss their concerns about symptoms their own dogs were experiencing. Answering questions and providing information to a growing number of people each day became very time-consuming, so I decided instead to share Murphy’s journey here.
So hang around. There’s hope here, and there definitely is life after a diagnosis of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. Murphy is living proof of that!
Just a note: This is Murphy’s Journey. His healthcare and supplement protocol are specific to him. Please use his journey as a guidepost, not a hitching post (thanks dad!). Do your own research. Speak to your veterinarian if your dog has signs of CCD or any other illness, and always check with your vet before changing your dog’s food or adding supplements. Every dog is different and what works for one may not work for another.
Here’s what you’ll find on our site:
- Updates on Murphy’s journey through Canine Cognitive Dysfunction.
- Lots of helpful resources, including articles and videos from professional pet care providers, pet food recall alerts, a live feed of pet industry news to keep you updated on important issues concerning our pets, a full page of links to organizations you can contact if you need physical, emotional or financial help caring for your senior dog, and many more resources to come.
- A place to share stories, experiences and pictures with other dog owners who are dealing with CCD. Our brand new Facebook Group is set up and ready to go.
- An introduction to the holistic supplements that are helping Murphy and updates on any changes in his supplement protocol.
- As new supplements to treat CCD enter the marketplace we’ll research and report on them.
- We’re here to encourage you to consider holistic supplements for your CCD dog to make this journey we share a little easier.
We hope you find our website helpful. Thanks very much for visiting Walking Doggies,
Remember, adopt, don’t shop. Give a homeless dog a chance.
Disclosure: We are affiliate marketers with links to online retailers, and we receive a small compensation from the purchase of products on our site. This in no way affects our product selection. We choose products that we sincerely feel will help senior dogs and their owners live their best lives.