TOXIC PLANTS

book of plants that can killBefore you head out to the trails you need to know which flowers and plants are toxic. We recommend Plants That Can Kill, a recently published book by Stacy Tornio.

This colorful book includes pictures of plants and flowers that are toxic to pets and humans, and includes fun facts and details about the toxicity level of each plant. Throw this book in your backpack before you head outdoors.

Tell Me More About Plants That Can Kill

Learn about plants and flowers like these:

Amaryllis

Can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hyper-salivation, anorexia and tremors.

Autumn Crocus

This plant can cause an intense burning sensation in the mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, liver and kidney damage and heart arrhythmias. The whole plant is considered toxic to dogs but the highest toxicity is found in the bulbs.

Azalea

Ingesting just a few azalea leaves can cause oral irritation, vomiting and diarrhea. Severe cases can lead to a drop in blood pressure, coma and death.

Cyclamen

Also known as Sowbread this plant can cause oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, heart abnormalities, seizures and death.

Daffodil

The entire plant is considered toxic but the bulb is the most toxic. Ingestion of any part of a daffodil can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain arrhythmias, convulsions and a severe drop in blood pressure.

Dieffenbachia

Also known as Dumb Cane, this plant can cause oral irritation, including a burning sensation in the lips, tongue and mouth, as well as vomiting and difficulty swallowing.

Kalanchoe

Also known as the Mother-In-Law plant ingestion can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and in rare cases heart arrhythmias.

Oleander

Can cause fatal heart abnormalities, muscle tremors, lack of coordination, vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

Sago Palm

An extremely poisonous plant that can cause bloody vomiting and diarrhea, bleeding disorders, liver failure and death.

Tulips

The entire plant is considered toxic but the bulb is the most poisonous. Ingestion can cause significant oral irritation, excessive drooling and nausea.

Share this: