Medicinal Mushrooms: How These Natural Fungi Can Heal What Ails Your Senior Dog
Many natural healers regard mushrooms as the primary source of a unique group of nutrients that can enhance and protect our health and well-being. Some healers even consider mushrooms to have equal, if not greater, healing power than herbs and spices. In our household we all take a mushroom supplement to help keep us in optimal health.
Mushrooms were used in folk medicine before the use of pharmaceuticals for over 2,000 years for their immune-enhancing, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-tumor and antiviral properties.
Medicinal mushrooms that are typically used in supplementation include:
- Reishi – Helps blood pressure, immune system support
- Lion’s Mane – Supports the brain and nervous system
- Agaricus Blazei – Cardiovascular support
- Turkey Tail – Immune system support, modulates cell growth
- Cordyceps – Immune system and heart support
- King Trumpet (also known as King Oyster) – Destroys parasites
- Shiitake – Cardiovascular support, calms inflammation
- Chaga – Immune system support
- Maitake – Regulates blood sugar, aids digestion
- Antrodia – Immune system and liver support